FILE UPLOADS & PRINT FILE REQUIREMENTS
Printing Solutions strives to give our customers the highest quality product possible. To help ensure that you receive the product you deserve, the following rules and guidelines will not only set Printing Solutions up for success, but ultimately you and your business. If you have any questions, please call (480) 596-6300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to an expert Printing Solutions staff member.
Print File Essentials
Accepted File Formats
PDF is recommended for the best print accuracy. Other accepted file types include AI, EPG, JPEG, JPG, PNG, PSD, TIF and TIFF.
Recommended Color Mode
Files should be set to CMYK color mode to ensure your files print accurately. RGB is accepted, however, this can produce inconsistent results. Please note that Printing Solutions does not guarantee color accuracy on rush orders, see “Color Accuracy” for further details.
Though Printing Solutions will always work hard to ensure a quality product for you, color matching is not available on rush orders due to the limited production time. If color matching is a necessity, please call (480) 596-6300 or email email@example.com to consult an expert Printing Solutions staff member on additional options.
In most cases, the resolution of your files should be set to 300 DPI (Dots Per Inch, also known as Pixels Per Inch or PPI). For items that will be viewed from a distance (such as banners, signs, decals, etc.), 96 or 150 DPI may be acceptable. Please note, any files with resolution less than 300 DPI may have some pixelation or blurriness when seen within an arms length.
Trim Size, Safe Zone & Bleed
Trim Size (or Finish Size)
The Trim Size, or Finish Size, is the size you specify during the order process. Any files sent must be adequate with the Finish Size you select; this includes a proper Safe Zone, DPI resolution as well as Bleed if necessary (for questions about these, see the sections on the “Safe Zone” and “File Bleed” below).
The Safe Zone is the area that is considered safe from being cut off in the trimming process. Printing Solutions can guarantee that your file will be cut within a 1/16” accuracy, however, it’s recommended that any important text, images and content are at least 1/8” away from the edge of the Trim Size. With that, your design may certainly continue up to the Trim Size, which in this case we recommend that you add Bleed to your file (for additional info on bleed, see the section on “File Bleed” below).
Any part of a file that continues passed the Trim Size and will ultimately be trimmed off on the final product is considered the “Bleed”. Though it will be trimmed off, Bleed is a necessity when the file design continues up to the trimmed edge. This ensures that the design on the final printed product appears to cleanly continue up to and/or passed the edge of the Trim Size.
Expert Tips & Tricks
- There is no such thing as a file with DPI that’s too high. It’s DPI that’s too low that causes problems and challenges during the printing process. Always err on the side of high DPI files.
- Crop marks are useful for ensuring that your files are cut precisely along the edge you want. Crop marks are used for reference only and are placed outside of the Finish Size which means it will not be included in the final product.
Use vector in your designs whenever possible. Vectors can be scaled without being affected by resolution and DPI, unlike its counterpart “raster” which uses pixels.
- Outline all of the fonts within the file/document(s). If fonts are not outlined, they can be changed or substituted unexpectedly causing undesired results. Only when fonts are outlined can Printing Solutions guarantee that this will not happen.
- Embed any links, images, logos, etc. into the file. In the instance that Printing Solutions may need to edit a file, this will ensure that all elements of the design stay intact.
- Spell-check your documents! An often overlooked step that cannot be fixed once printed. Printing Solutions is not liable for any typos, misspellings, typographical errors, etc.